GOVERNMENT SCHEMES& PROGRAMMES
There are several government schemes and programmes that can be availed by a person with disability in India. The schemes and and programmes that are also relevant to people with autism and their families are mentioned below.
To avail of all these schemes it is mandatory to have a disability certificate. The Government of India has notified guidelines for the evaluation of the disabilities and procedure for certification. Though currently there is no disability certificate being issued just for autism, people who want to avail of these schemes can opt to take the disability certificate for Autism with MR(Mental Retardation).
The National Trust for Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999 was constituted by the Central Government as a legal entity, and was set up in the year 2000.
The objectives of the Trust is to
* enable and empower persons with disability
* facilitate support to registered organizations
* Deal with problems of disabled persons who do not have family support
* promote measures for their care and protection in the event of loss of parents and guardians
* evolve a procedure for appointment of guardians and trustees so that equal opportunities, protection of rights and full participation of such persons is ensured.
The schemes available under The National Trust for Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999 are
* Spandan(Special Performance Awards)
Spandan is the new name given to the National Trust Awards for special performance in different sectors by people with disabilities. The Awards have been given a new name ‘SPANDAN’, which means pulsating, dynamic or vibrant. The Awards provide a new vibrancy to the registered NGOs and other stakeholders of the National Trust. The Special Performance Awards for contributing to the National Trust Centric Disabilities (SPANDAN), from here on, has a fewer number of Awards but bigger prize money. The awardees are selected through a jury of eminent people from scores of nominations from across the country. This year on, National Trust would recognise men and women achievers exclusively in the sector.
* Samarth Scheme (for residential services)
* Group Home And Rehabilitation Activities Under National Trust Act for Disabled Adults (to address parents’ concerns about what after them)
* Niramaya(Health Insurance Scheme)
* GyanPrabha(Scholarship) Scheme
* UddyamPrabha(Financial Incentive) Scheme
* Arunim(marketing initiatives for products made by persons with disabilities)
* Wage employment in Private sector
* Income Tax Related Exemptions
* Employees Provident Fund
* Hotel Discounts
* Travel Concessions
* Telecommunication (Preference In Allotment of STD booths / PCO)
* Policies from Life Insurance Corporation of India
View details of these schemes here Government Schemes and Benefits.
Visit The National Trust website http://www.thenationaltrust.co.in for more information on these.